Slovenian Citizenship Eligibility
Did you know that if you have Slovenian ancestry, you might be eligible for Slovenian citizenship and an EU passport? Therefore if you are a direct-line descendant of a Slovenian citizen, you can have your Slovenian citizenship status registered in Slovenia (through confirmation or naturalization). This means you can live, work and study in any of the 27 EU member countries with no restrictions.
How does it work?
You can register your Slovenian citizenship status by proving your heritage and satisfying eligibility criteria set by the Slovenian government. Your application form needs to include your ancestral and personal documents, translated and notarized. Your parent’s marriage certificate and your birth certificate will also need to be registered in Slovenia.
How do I know if I qualify?
Many people whose parents or grandparents were born in Slovenia qualify for Slovenian citizenship through descent. Here are the possible scenarios:
Scenario 1 – registration of a child (under the age of 18):
- The child is born abroad to at least one parent who is a Slovenian citizen at the time of the child’s birth.
- The child obtains citizenship of the Republic of Slovenia as long as he is registered as such by the age of 18.
Scenario 2 – registration of an adult (age 18 to 36):
- You were born abroad to at least one parent who is a Slovenian citizen at the time of your birth.
- You were not registered for citizenship of the Republic of Slovenia before the age of 18.
- You can acquire Slovenian citizenship if you register it prior to reaching the age of 36 years.
Scenario 3 – exceptional naturalization (over 36):
- You are over 36 years of age and cannot register to citizenship of the Republic of Slovenia anymore.
- At least one of your parents or grandparents held Slovenian citizenship.
- You can show an active connection with the Republic of Slovenia such as activity in Slovenian associations, Slovene language, family in Slovenia, trips to Slovenia, etc.
How can Polaron help me?
- We offer a free and confidential eligibility assessment.
- If you are eligible, we can provide you with a no-obligation quote.
- Should you decide to proceed with us, we provide you with linguistic, administrative and legal support and navigate through Slovenian regulations on your behalf, including representation.
Would you like to set up a time to talk about whether European citizenship makes sense for you and your family with one of our citizenship consultants?