WHAT IS EASY ENGLISH?
Easy English is a way of writing used to give information to people who have difficulty reading, writing or understanding words.
There are different reasons why people have difficulty reading and understanding words, for example:
- because they have an intellectual disability;
- because they cannot understand the language;
- because they cannot read well.
HOW TO WRITE IN EASY ENGLISH
- Use simple and easy words
- Write short sentences
- Repeat pronouns (such as I, you, we)
- Use lists
- Include only the important information
- Use titles to make text easier to read
- Use images to explain concepts
- Use large fonts
- Leave lots of white space on the page.
BENEFITS OF EASY ENGLISH
- Fast – Texts written in Easy English are faster to read and to understand.
- Reaching out – By writing in Easy English you can reach more people.
- Better translations – A text written in Easy English translates well.
- Better understanding – Texts written in Easy English are very clear and won’t be misunderstood.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PLAIN AND EASY ENGLISH
You might have heard about Plain English, so what is the difference between Plain and Easy English?
Plain English is a way of writing that is simple and clear.
Easy English is:
- a way of writing for people who have problems reading and understanding the written word,
- includes only essential information,
- uses colours and images to make meaning clear and
- explains difficult words in a glossary.