Czech Republic is a country full of many interesting facts. Here are 10 of them:
1. It has the most castles in Europe
The Czech Republic is renowned for over 2000 castles across its beautiful land. That is more than any other country in Europe has.
2. Czech’s LOVE beer
In fact, Czech people are the world’s heaviest consumers of beer. On average, they drink 188.6 litres of beer per capita.
3. It is known as the ‘City of a Hundred Spires’
Czech Republic inherited this nickname because of its beautiful cathedrals and their pointy spires. There are 500 to over 1000 spires, towers, turrets and steeples in Prague.
4. Ice hockey is the country’s most popular sport
Hockey is a beloved sport in the Czech Republic with the men’s national ice hockey team being one of the major powers in world hockey. There is said to be one hockey rink for every 420 registered players
5. The oldest university resides in Prague
Charles University in Prague was founded in 1348 and is the oldest university in Central Europe.
6. It is in the centre of Europe
Czech Republic is right in the centre of Europe, which means it is very easy access to many other major cities like Milan, Berlin, Vienna and Budapest for a weekend getaway.
7. It is ranked in the top ten most peaceful countries globally
According to the 2021 Global Peace Index, Czech Republic is ranked at the 9th most peaceful country in the world. The GPI measures the state of peace across three domains:
– the level of Societal Safety and Security,
– the extent of Ongoing Domestic and International Conflict,
– and the degree of Militarisation.
8. Mushroom hunting is a favourite activity for Czech people
In autumn it is a national passion in the damp forests to hunt for mushrooms. Every year, Czechs gather on St. Václav Day in September and the hunts can be quite competitive.
9. They have the lowest unemployment rate in Europe
In 2021 it was reported that the Czech Republic is the country with the lowest unemployment in the European Union and among all OECD countries.
10. Czech Republic was founded in 1918
With the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire after World War I, Czechoslovakia regained independence and was formed in 1918.
Are there any other interesting facts you know about Czechia?
Please visit our Facebook page if you’d like to leave a comment and share your thoughts on facts about the Czech Republic!